I used beef frankfurters as I have 2 children in my care who cannot eat pork for religious reasons, but any frankfurter will work well.
Here's how you make them...
You will need:
- 1 can of hotdogs (I used large ones)
- 1 pack of ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- Yellow mustard to decorate.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge 10 minutes before you start. Make sure all little hands are clean, and then on a clean surface lay out the pastry rectangle.
- Slice the pastry into 2 cm strips and wrap around each sausage starting at the head. But remember to leave a space near the top for the mummies’ face.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment and bake for approx. 20 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6 or until the pastry in golden in colour.
- When the Hot Dog Mummies have cooled, add yellow mustard 'eyes' to decorate.